Are you looking for some travel inspiration? Well one way that I do that is by reading up on a few travel quotes. I share at least one weekly to my instagram audience, as my goal is to get as many folks inspired to travel as possible. In this post, I’ll share a few of my favorite short travel quotes. I encourage you to save the ones that speak to you the most as you read through this list!
Best Travel Quotes
1. “I dislike feeling at home when I’m abroad.” – Shaw
I identify with this quote because I think we learn the most when we travel to places that take us out of our comfort zones.
2. “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.” – Mark Twain
Sticking with our theme of traveling to places that take us out of our comfort zone, if we trully spend time trying to learn about the cultures we visit, it will be hard to hold on the negative mindsets mentioned above.
3. “Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.” – Henry David Thoreau
Getting lost in a new place makes you use your mind in new ways – you’ll learn an incredible amount about yourself in the process.
4. “There are no foreign lands. It is the traveller only who is foreign.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
If you keep this perspective while you travel, you’ll stop expecting things to be like they are at home.
5. “Travel makes one modest, you see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.” – Gustave Flaubert
It’s not about you – And traveling to experience new cultures really helps you see that.
6. I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.” – Susan Sontag
Who else here would love to visit all the lands on this great planet??
7. “If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and avoid the people, you might better stay at home.” – James Michener
Travel is all about what new things you’ll experience. If you go someplace new and only want what’s at home, why are you going?
8. “He who would travel happy, must travel light.” – Antoine De St. Exupery
These are words I absolutely live by. No one, and I mean NO ONE is happier when taking more luggage. Pack light and buy more only if you need to.
9. “With age, comes wisdom. With travel, comes understanding.” – Sandra Lake
There is nothing that will help you understand other human beings like travel will.
10. “Travel is the only thing that makes you richer.” – Unknown
That richness of experience is priceless.
11. “Time flies. It’s up to you be be the navigator.” – Robert Orben
Do that thing that you’ve been holding out on. Time waits for no one.
12. Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller. – Ibn Battuta
Can’t count how many times this has happened to me.
13. “We travel, some of us forever, to seek other states, other lives, other souls.” – Anais Nin
Never lose your sense of adventure – that’s what keeps your travel spirit alive!
14. Not all those who wander are lost.” – J.R.R. Tolkien
…Some of us just like exploring ;).
15.” The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.” – Marcel Proust
Always be open to new experiences, you’ll be surprised what you learn along the way.
16. Don’t listen to what they say. Go See.” – Unknown
Who here hasn’t had a naysayer when traveling to a new place? Don’t let anyone stop you from experiencing a new place. My bets are that you will love it.
17. If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine, it is lethal. – Paulo Coelho
Does the thought of being stuck in the same place give you nightmares? If so, I know exactly how you feel.
18. “Life is short and the world is wide.” – Unknown
Which means you need to start planning your next trip today!
19. “Fill your life with adventures, not things. Have stories to tell, not stuff to share.” – Unknown
Experiences are more memorable than things. Spend on what you will remember.
20. “Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.” – Neale Donald Walsch
You always remember when you’re pushed out of your day-to-day.
Travel Love Quotes
21. Jobs fill your pocket, but adventures fill your soul.” – Jamie Lyn Beatty
This is the exactly why travel is always built into my budget!
22. “The use of traveling is to regulate imagination by reality, and instead of thinking how things may be, to see them as they are.” – Samuel Johnson
If you travel, you bring your dreams to life! This is why I love it so much.
23. “We take photos as a return ticket to a moment otherwise gone.” – Unknown
Don’t let those precious moments pass you by.
24. What we find in a soulmate is not something wild to tame, but something wild to run with.” – Robert Brault
Find someone who’s idea of adventure matches with your own.
25. “Love is the food of life, travel is dessert.” – Unknown
They go hand-in-hand, don’t they?
26. I’m in love with cities I have never been to and people I have never met.” – Anonymous
That’s the romantic side of travel for you…I know my fellow travel-lovers know what I mean here.
Solo Travel Quotes
27. “The more I traveleled the more I realised that fear makes strangers of people who should be friends.” – Shirley MacLaine
Why is it that so many humans focus on what makes us different, rather than what is shared?
28. “Women need real moments of solitude and self-reflection to balance out how much of ourselves we give away.” – Barbara De Angelis
I’d argue that this holds true whether you are a woman or not – self reflection is necessary. What better way to do that is by traveling alone?
29. “Traveling solo does not always mean you’re alone. Most often, you meet marvelous people along the way and make connections that last a lifetime.” – Jacqueline Boone
If you are open to making new friends, you’ll never be alone.
30. “Traveling alone will be the scariest, most liberating, life changing experience of your life. Try it at least once!” – Unknown
What’s stopping you?
31. “Some journeys can be only traveled alone!” – Ken Poirot
Even if you are traveling with others, there is no way you’ll have the same experience. Your experience is yours alone.
32. “The most beautiful thing in the world, is, of course, the world itself.” – Wallace Stevens
We only have one planet, let’s take care of it so we can continue to explore.
Funny Travel Quotes
33. “Screw the caviar, I want to travel the world!” – Unknown
Where do you spend your money?
34. “Vacation calories don’t count. Right?” – Unknown
That’s what I firmly believe :).
35. “I need vitamin SEA.” – Unknown
Corny right? But who doesn’t love a few beach days?
36. “People don’t take trips…trips take people.” – John Steinbeck
Be prepared to go with the flow…something will go wrong on your trip, but only you can make that a lesson learned.
37. Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.” – Jerry Seinfeld
Not everywhere you go will offer a great experience, but you have to find that out for yourself.
38. Boy, those French. They have a different word for everything.” – Steve Martin
Hard to believe that English is not the only language spoken around the world, right? Thankfully it’s not to hard to learn a new language for travel, or use tools like Google Translate to help you communicate.
39. There is nothing safer than flying – it’s crashing that is dangerous. – Paul Theroux
A bit of morbid humor, it’s safe to say that you are way more likely to live while flying than ANY OTHER form of transportation out there. But if the plane goes down, those odds do increase exponentially.
Travel With Friends Quotes
40. “There is an unspoken bond you create with the friends you travel with.” – Kristen Sarah
You can’t travel with all your friends, but if you can, it’s really special.
41. “I have found out there ain’t no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them.” – Mark Twain
Isn’t that the truth?
42. “Good times and crazy friends make the best memories.” – Unknown
Isn’t it great to have stories that start with, “Remember that one time…”?
43. “True friends are never apart – maybe in distance but never in heart.” – Helen Keller
It’s great to have those people you can pick right back up with – even after 10+ years.
44. “If you want to go fast, go alone, If you want to go further, go together.” – African Proverb
It’s great to have someone in your corner, no matter what the circumstance.
45. “You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you.” – Unknown
The possibility of making new friends is endless!
46. “Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive.” – Anais Nin
Isn’t it crazy how much our friends can impact / change our lives?
47. “Let’s find some beautiful place to get lost together.” – Unknown
Who do you want to do this with?
48. “As soon as I saw you, I knew a great adventure was about to happen.” – Winne The Pooh
There is nothing like friends who bring adventure to your life.
49. “Everyone needs this friend that calls and says, we’re going on an adventure.” – Unknown
Here’s to those who bring spontaneity into our lives.
50. You can pack for every occasion, but a good friend will always be the best thing you can bring! – Unknown
Which friend do you want to take with you on your next trip?
In Summary | Short Travel Quotes
I hope that you’ve been inspired when reading these short travel quotes. Do you have any favorites that you’d like to ahre? Let me know in the comments below!